[CentOS-devel] Fedora CoreOS and CentOS Atomic Host

Jason Brooks

jbrooks at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 16:35:26 UTC 2018

Today, the Fedora Project announced [1] a new project, Fedora CoreOS,
which will serve as a successor to Container Linux and Fedora Atomic.

[1] https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-coreos/

There's an FAQ [2] that addresses, among other things, the future of
CentOS Atomic Host:

"CentOS Atomic Host will continue producing downstream rebuilds of
RHEL Atomic Host and will align with the end-of-life. The Fedora
CoreOS project will be the consolidation point for the community
distributions. Users are encouraged to move there in the future."

[2] https://coreos.fedoraproject.org/faq

Red Hat has announced [3] plans to ship a product called "Red Hat
CoreOS." It's my impression that the delta between the Fedora CoreOS
project and the Red Hat CoreOS product will be small enough that there
won't be a need for a CentOS CoreOS.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-unveils-roadmap-coreos-integration-red-hat-openshift

There are limited technical details about Fedora CoreOS available at
this point, but the new host will be based on the same rpm-ostree
foundation on which Fedora Atomic and CentOS Atomic are now built.

I encourage CentOS Atomic users interested in the future of the
platform to get involved [4] in the new project, and come say hello in
#fedora-coreos on freenode.

[4] https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/coreos