[CentOS-devel] Removing old centos-release-<sig-project><version> from CentOS Extras?

Mon Jun 25 10:19:17 UTC 2018
Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com>

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:40:04PM +0200, Niels de Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How are other SIGs handling the removal of repositories from the
> mirrors? There are centos-release-<sig-project> packages around that
> have YUM .repo files pointing to the now non-existing repos. Some (all?)
> of these centos-release-<sig-project> packages are still available in
> CentOS Extras.
>
> From #gluster:
> 21:25 < mallorn1> Anyone know why the 3.13 repository is gone from CentOS?  http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/storage/x86_64/
> 21:25 <@glusterbot> Title: Index of /centos/7/storage/x86_64CentOS Mirror (at mirror.centos.org)
> 21:26 < mallorn1> Installed the centos-release-gluster313.noarch package that CentOS has, but then you can't install gluster because the target doesn't exist.
>
> At the moment I am tempted to create a centos-release-gluster-DONTUSE
> package that replaces centos-release-gluster313 and other unmaintained
> versions (suggestions for an alternative to DONTUSE welcome!).
>
> I do not want to force users to upgrade to a newer Gluster version
> without manual intervention. Some versions are/may not be compatible
> between client/server, or require some additional steps depending on the
> features that are used.

A new centos-release-gluster-legacy package has now been created and
will get requested for inclusion in CentOS Extras after a little more
testing and announcing the Gluster 4.1 release.

Once this package is available, the old centos-release-gluster* RPMs for
releases that are not maintained anymore become useless and can be
removed from the repo. Removal requests will be sent through
bugs.centos.org later.

Thanks to all who gave inputs for this,
Niels