[CentOS-devel] Removing old centos-release-<sig-project><version> from CentOS Extras?

Mon Jun 25 11:11:50 UTC 2018
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 6:19 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:40:04PM +0200, Niels de Vos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How are other SIGs handling the removal of repositories from the
>> mirrors? There are centos-release-<sig-project> packages around that
>> have YUM .repo files pointing to the now non-existing repos. Some (all?)
>> of these centos-release-<sig-project> packages are still available in
>> CentOS Extras.
>>
>> From #gluster:
>> 21:25 < mallorn1> Anyone know why the 3.13 repository is gone from CentOS?  http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/storage/x86_64/
>> 21:25 <@glusterbot> Title: Index of /centos/7/storage/x86_64CentOS Mirror (at mirror.centos.org)
>> 21:26 < mallorn1> Installed the centos-release-gluster313.noarch package that CentOS has, but then you can't install gluster because the target doesn't exist.
>>
>> At the moment I am tempted to create a centos-release-gluster-DONTUSE
>> package that replaces centos-release-gluster313 and other unmaintained
>> versions (suggestions for an alternative to DONTUSE welcome!).
>>
>> I do not want to force users to upgrade to a newer Gluster version
>> without manual intervention. Some versions are/may not be compatible
>> between client/server, or require some additional steps depending on the
>> features that are used.
>
> A new centos-release-gluster-legacy package has now been created and
> will get requested for inclusion in CentOS Extras after a little more
> testing and announcing the Gluster 4.1 release.
>
> Once this package is available, the old centos-release-gluster* RPMs for
> releases that are not maintained anymore become useless and can be
> removed from the repo. Removal requests will be sent through
> bugs.centos.org later.
>
> Thanks to all who gave inputs for this,
> Niels

Will there be an appropriate centos-release-gluste[whatever] package
that Obsoletes the old, obsolete packages? Because otherwise, they're
just going to sit there on obsolete systems and are unlikely to be
cleared up properly.