[CentOS-devel] Building a package for RedHat

dacav

dacav at teknik.io
Tue Mar 6 12:04:20 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-05, Troy Dawson
<tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Let's say that my system builds in CentOS with modified %dist
>> and then straight ahead for testing on a RedHat machine.
>> Is there any chance of a building error which would happen under
>> RedHat (but not under CentOS), which would introduce some subtle
>> bug under RedHat?
>>
> That totally depends on your code.
> Is it checking to see if the package is running on a real RHEL box?
> If it is, how is it checking?

Let's say it is (currently it is not, for shame). What I would do
is to run a set of regression tests, to make sure that the
software works.

OK, we are going hypothetical here: tell me if I'm saying
something stupid. :) Also, not that I don't trust your answers
about %dist, it's just a matter of curiosity.

Say there's a problem, maybe some obscure bug at compiler level
or so. Let's say that the GCC version in RedHat fixed that bug.
CentOS has not exactly the same version (and here's my little
doubt: in theory it should be slightly behind, right?) In our
scenario that bug is not fixed for CentOS but it is for RedHat.

I'm building under CentOS, not detecting the problem. I'm then
testing under RedHat, not detecting the problem either
(regression test has not a 100% coverage). The user gets to face
a weird segfault.

Could something like this happen, due to a discrepancy of any
kind, between the two distros?