[CentOS-devel] Status of Ansible within CentOS 7 and SIGs

Wed May 23 07:01:54 UTC 2018
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 23/05/18 08:09, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:

> <mailto:sbonazzo at redhat.com>>:

>     <mailto:sbonazzo at redhat.com>>:

>         <mailto:thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>>:
>
>             Hello Folks,
>
>             Starting with CentOS 7.5, ansible package will no be
>             available in CentOS
>             -extras anymore as Red Hat decided to ship Ansible on a
>             separate channel.
>
>             Looking at ansible package in CBS [1] I see that Troy,
>             Fabian, Sandro
>             and Alan are rebuilding it.
>             Can we get better at that task ?
>
>             My proposal would to initiate a rebuild of the new Ansible
>             channel[2](within the Config Management SIG) and follow a
>             better release
>             cycle.
>
>             What do you think ? Would it be a solution from all SIG, or
>             should we
>             continue to ship Ansible within each SIG ?
>

>         I would be more than happy to hand over ansible rebuilds
>         to Config Management SIG.
>         I'm rebuilding ansible in Virt SIG just because there wasn't any
>         other SIG keeping the pace with ansible releases.
>         While creating repos, please consider having an ansible-2 repo
>         having always latest ansible 2 along with ansible-2.5,
>         ansible-2.6 and so on.
>         In oVirt we'd like to consume latest ansible 2 always.
>

>     Ansible 2.5.3 has been released. What's the status of this?
>     Do I need to build this release in Virt SIG or is this being done
>     from Config Management SIG?
>

> Rebuilt within Virt SIG due to lack of response.
> Build is tagged for
> release: http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=22809

That's your best option so far, as there is *no* Cfgmgmt SIG (that
should be killed if there was really a process for that) as there is
nobody involved, no SIG chair, no pkg even built ... the only exception
is yum4/dnf (and to be honnest I don't even know why it landed there, as
to me it was a wrong target, but not my call)

The "Ansible" case is even more interesting, as when it landed in
Extras, there was no even need to have it rebuilt through CBS, but it
was removed again, so now it's in a strange situation where newer
versions aren't built, so yes, only option is to rebuild those in CBS in
your own target/tags and other people can then "tag-build" the same ENVR
if they want to also provide it through their SIG repositories

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab