[CentOS-devel] What is the preferred approach to get golang >= 1.9.4 in buildroots in the CBS?

Tue Oct 30 12:26:43 UTC 2018
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 30/10/18 13:16, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 30/10/18 10:05, Niels de Vos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that the golang version (1.8) in the CentOS build (base?)
>> repository is not recent enough to build one of the Gluster components.
>> GlusterD2-5.0 needs golang >= 1.9.4.
>>
>> There is a build of golang-1.10.2-1.el7 in the CBS, but that is only for
>> x86_64, and I would need a version that has ppc64le and aarch64 as well.
>>
>> Early on, golang was included in CentOS Extras, is that a possible
>> location to keep a more recent version?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Niels
>
> Hi Niels,
>
> golang 1.9.4 is available in base repo for all arches, like aarch64 and
> ppc64le :
>
>  *
> http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/os/ppc64le/Packages/golang-1.9.4-1.el7.ppc64le.rpm
>
>  *
> http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/os/aarch64/Packages/golang-1.9.4-1.el7.aarch64.rpm
>

> So do you mean that a gluster build is failing at your side ? if so,
> haven't you in the past tagged a specific golang build for your
> tags/targets ? if so that would explain why it ignores the base packages
> but instead would use the tagged version
>
> Can you verify this ?

Per discussion with Kkeithley in #centos-devel, but pasting here for
everybody ::

<paste>
arrfab: cbs list-tagged storage7-gluster-common-candidate
                                           arrfab: let me explain how to
find that
            │
arrfab: your build : https://cbs.centos.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=595140

arrfab: from that you see the build target, pointing then to
https://cbs.centos.org/koji/taginfo?tagID=1623        │
 and then you see the inheritance
                                   │
arrfab: and one (storage7-gluster-common-candidate) has that specific
golang tagged                                 arrfab: so untag it, and
next build, it will use the one from repo/os instead of that specific
version that tdawson tagged in the past

</paste>

Hope that this helps .. Adding also that on the wiki so that people can
find it if needed
--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab