[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Fri Jul 12 16:58:53 UTC 2019

On 12/07/2019 18:35, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 7/12/19 12:23 AM, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>>

>> Il giorno mer 10 lug 2019 alle ore 22:53 Thomas Oulevey
>> <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch <mailto:thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>> ha scritto:
>>
>>     Hello folks,
>>
>>     In the planning of next Community build services, a new question
>>     came up.
>>
>>     In the past we never allowed EPEL repositories to be used as external
>>     repositories for SIGs. Doing so, would allow to build against EPEL
>>     packages and not duplicate the work for maintainers in EPEL/SIGs.
>>
>>     However it would mean also building against a moving target which
>>     can be
>>     difficult if EPEL policies are the same as today.
>>
>>     As EPEL 8 is also in the making it would be good to hear what SIGs
>>     think
>>     about this specific issue.
>>
>>     Let us know !
>>

>> Within Virt SIG, under oVirt project we are rebuilding a few packages
>> from EPEL without modifications.
>> Being able to tag into our repos packages which are available in EPEL
>> would reduce the load on the SIG.
>>

> The issue is .. they change the versions out and you then lose that
> package.  next build it fails with the new one .. what do you do?  The
> old package is no longer available anywhere.
>
> If you build that package .. then you can move to the new one whenever
> you want.
>
> So there are pluses and minuses abound in both scenarios.

Just wondering : if people would like to consume epel pkgs, but still
want to cherry-pick which version of pkgs they need/want : what about :
- creating tag/targets for epel (but not building *any* pkg there)
- rsync (without any delete) epel
- use "koji import" to import all epel pkgs, and also new versions when
new pkgs appear

That would mean : nothing to build on cbs, and people can just "cbs
tag-build" existing imported pkgs.

Would that work for everybody ?

--
Fabian Arrotin