[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jul 12 16:35:39 UTC 2019

On 7/12/19 12:23 AM, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:

> Il giorno mer 10 lug 2019 alle ore 22:53 Thomas Oulevey
> <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch <mailto:thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>> ha scritto:
>
>     Hello folks,
>
>     In the planning of next Community build services, a new question
>     came up.
>
>     In the past we never allowed EPEL repositories to be used as external
>     repositories for SIGs. Doing so, would allow to build against EPEL
>     packages and not duplicate the work for maintainers in EPEL/SIGs.
>
>     However it would mean also building against a moving target which
>     can be
>     difficult if EPEL policies are the same as today.
>
>     As EPEL 8 is also in the making it would be good to hear what SIGs
>     think
>     about this specific issue.
>
>     Let us know !
>

> Within Virt SIG, under oVirt project we are rebuilding a few packages
> from EPEL without modifications.
> Being able to tag into our repos packages which are available in EPEL
> would reduce the load on the SIG.

The issue is .. they change the versions out and you then lose that
package.  next build it fails with the new one .. what do you do?  The
old package is no longer available anywhere.

If you build that package .. then you can move to the new one whenever
you want.

So there are pluses and minuses abound in both scenarios.