[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 22:12:40 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 17:09, Thomas Oulevey <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thanks for your questions.
>
> Inline my feedback.
>
> On 10.07.19 22:57, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >
> > 1. What are the policies that EPEL would need to change?
>
> EPEL is shipping only latest build in their repo. We can't build against
> older packages. Another issue is that koji doesn't allow that either.

Understood, we are hoping to keep some around but do you guys compile
against older copies of CentOS? I thought it was compiled only with the
latest bits. Second koji does work with external packages this way because
that is how we compile RHEL. For RHEL-7, we only see the latest RHEL
download we got from CDN that day.

> The intermediate repo metadata only contains latest builds and it is not
> configurable as far as I remember.

I am not sure what that means.

> > 2. What are the parts of EPEL that are a moving target compared to the
> > continuous release method of CentOS?
>
> We can build packages and stick to them for a whole lifecycle of a SIG
> project release for both "Requires:" and "Buildrequires:".

So the CBS points not at latest CentOS but has copies of every package that
CentOS ever built ? [AKA you import in whatever glibc rpm was used and it
is stored in the lookaside and koji places? Cool.

> I am sure there are other concerns that can be discussed by the pkgs
> maintainers.

I don't doubt. We can work through them.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.