[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Pat Riehecky

riehecky at fnal.gov
Thu Jul 11 13:24:58 UTC 2019

On 7/10/19 4:09 PM, Thomas Oulevey wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thanks for your questions.
>
> Inline my feedback.
>
> On 10.07.19 22:57, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>
>> 1. What are the policies that EPEL would need to change?
>
> EPEL is shipping only latest build in their repo. We can't build
> against older packages. Another issue is that koji doesn't allow that
> either. The intermediate repo metadata only contains latest builds and
> it is not configurable as far as I remember.
>
>> 2. What are the parts of EPEL that are a moving target compared to
>> the continuous release method of CentOS?
>
> We can build packages and stick to them for a whole lifecycle of a SIG
> project release for both "Requires:" and "Buildrequires:".
>
> I am sure there are other concerns that can be discussed by the pkgs
> maintainers.

Would it be possible to permit some SIGs to opt into EPEL if they desire?

Or to put another way:

The EPEL project has a Special Interest in EL packages.  While this
isn't a CentOS SIG, it is a Group.  Existing CentOS SIGs are able to opt
into depending on CentOS SIGs.  Would permitting SIGs to opt into
depending on EPEL be much different?

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky