[CentOS-devel] Community build services and EPEL8

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 16:01:17 UTC 2019

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 10:56, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:43 AM Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com> wrote:
> >

> > To me this isn't a "building" question, this is a "delivery" question.
> Currently the guidance is for the SIGs to own their dependency chain, and
> to ship their deliverables depending on things that are self-contained (or
> self-contained to CentOS-built content at least).
> >
> > Currently there is a lot of EPEL rebuild activity going on to support
> the SIGs, and I think this is where we can make some improvements with the
> converged git structure. We, in general, want to make it easier to take
> things from Fedora/EPEL branches and convert them into CentOS branches, and
> that workflow would make the process of consuming EPEL packages (even with
> a rebuild) a lot less painful.
> >

> As someone who builds and uses EPEL, I'd really rather have downstream
> consumers in CentOS contributing upstream in Fedora EPEL. I'm aware
> that a number of my packages wind up getting forked into CentOS SIGs
> because of the current policy, and while it is their right to do so,
> I've always been unhappy with that because their changes are more or
> less walled off and they don't care to upstream anything.
>
> CentOS and EPEL should not be a one-way street, and it is. In my view,
> that's the underlying problem. If, for example, Koji EPEL build
> references were auto-populated into the CBS so that they can be tagged
> in, and if CentOS and Fedora accounts were federated so that CentOS
> folks can submit PRs to Fedora Dist-Git on EPEL branches and get those
> merged and built in Fedora Koji for EPEL to tag into CBS, that'd be
> way better.
>
> Sadly, I don't know if that's even possible today...

Not without a lot of work. [I doubt any simple import would work as the two
systems are so far apart in data structures.. but some sort of merging
might be possible.] I believer we are working on how that would be possible
but it will take a lot of focus which means other things wanted get
droppeed or we drop focus on it for a while to make other things happen.

> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Stephen J Smoogen.