[CentOS-devel] The future of the community build services

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso

amoralej at redhat.com
Wed Jun 26 08:06:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 5:21 PM Thomas Oulevey <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> It's time to have a look to the SIGs and the community needs for the
> next version of the community build service(cbs). We would like to
> request feedback and know if the different communities plan on using
> modular builds, and what would be their timeline to be able to produce
> C8 artifacts (rpms, imagefactory builds, etc...).
>

>From CloudSIG, we'll need need to consume modules both at build and run
times.

I've been doing some investigation on how using modularity may help us to
improve our current delivery model and I'd say that the extra complexity to
build modules is probably not worthy to replace our current workflow based
on per-release tags and repos with release rpm packages to enable repos.
This may change in future, but so far, I'd say we will not create modules.

> As you know Koji is now used to build CentOS 8 [1], and is based on
> the mbbox [2] distribution.
>
> It makes sense for cbs.centos.org to follow this trend and be based on
> the same templates.

This means we'll have a new koji instance for SIGs in CentOS8?

> At the same time we needed to evaluate how and where we can deploy the
> new Openshift based templates, and associated builders for different
> arches.
>
> It's understood that the transition between both systems should be
> smooth and do not impact your C6/C7 builds and release cycle. We will
> plan accordingly.
>
> Please let us know, if you have comments and/or new ideas.

Thanks,

Alfredo