[CentOS-devel] RHEL 8, and potentially CentOS 8, lack "/usr/bin/python"

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sun May 12 03:45:43 UTC 2019

Good evening:

Even though Fedora still has a default /usr/bin/python, which has
admittedly changed to a link to /usr/bin/python3 for recent releases,
I see that RHEL 8 has no /usr/bin/python. This is going to break a
*lot* SRPM's and older python scripts. It's especially going to mess
up old "__python" configuration macros for .spec files.

I'd not realized this when I started testing. Heads up, a *lot* of
EPEL .spec files are going to need updates.

Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>