[CentOS-devel] Unshipped -devel packages in CentOS Linux

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:06:08 UTC 2019

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 20:49, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:26 PM Pablo Sebastián Greco
> <pgreco at centosproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Right, but normally things in CentOS are supported in RHEL, these
> > packages don't fall into that category.
>
> "quota" is supported. It's a critical component of "nfs-utils" and of
> various NFS tools. If quota is not supported, then as best I can tell
> RHEL will have to abandon support for NFS. If NFS is abandoned, please
> let me know. I want to bring popcorn and a a soda for for *that*
> feature release announcement.

English Compiler Warning:

The word "supported" is an overloaded operator and you are trying to
use your version for all versions of it.

The package quota is 'supported' by Red Hat for use with certain tools
that are shipped. While they have expressed that is what their support
policies covered, by shipping the -devel they were also getting
tickets on why does this not work with this compilation, and fix this
bug in this header file. In order to clarify exactly what they are
going to cover with their technical support, they decided to stop
shipping things which lead to tickets they did not cover.

You are using the word support in a slightly different manner where
support means it needs to be there for a process to work. There is
also defining support in that the source code 'supports' the building
of other things with it. Both of those are outside of the meaning that
Red Hat is using the word.

I expect that if this were Chinese, German or French each of those
different meanings would have completely different words which would
make confusion less likely. However, English likes to use one word for
many things hoping that people will 'just know' the differences.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.