[CentOS-devel] Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors 2019-11-13 Meeting

Wed Nov 27 03:10:52 UTC 2019
Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>


    Public minutes

On 2019-11-13 theCentOS Board of Directors 
<https://centos.org/about/governance/>held their first meeting following 
the release of CentOS Linux 8 and announcement of CentOS Stream.

As covered in this meeting, the CentOS Board are taking on an initiative 
to increase transparency of the working of the Board. This set of 
minutes for the community and wider public is the first instance of new, 
more transparent processes in action.

Topics covered in the meeting and via email are discussed below, and 
remain open on the Board’s rolling agenda for future conversation and 

 1. Board membership:
     1. The Board has been considering for some time adjusting the
        membership of the Board, in particular by adding new Directors.
        Discussions with potential new Directors will begin.
     2. All Directors discussed the need for future leadership of the
        CentOS Project to continue being able to straddle the project’s
        traditional footing on one side, and help drive a vision for the
        future on the other side.
 2. Transparency initiatives:
     1. All agree that the biggest need for transparency in the Project
        is at the Board level.
         1. Other groups e.g. SIGs are generally following good
            transparency practices
         2. Board Directors have been asked directly about this topic
            and the issue of the Board not releasing minutes from meetings.
         3. The Board’s infrequent meetings have not been configured to
            easily generate public topics, since most technical and
            day-to-day leadership happens in the SIGs especially the
            Core SIG and QA SIG.
     2. Next step -- improving Board meeting norms:
         1. *AGREED:*Publish (for next and future meetings) that there
            will be a meeting, and what the public portion of the agenda
            is, in advance of the meeting.
         2. *AGREED:*Publish a set of public minutes within 72 hours of
            the conclusion of a Board meeting
         3. *AGREED:*There will be a rolling element to the agenda so
            that items are not dropped between meetings but rather
            eventually addressed/resolved.
         4. *ACTION*: Karsten to write and publish this set of public
            meeting minutes
 3. New branding work underway - Karsten briefed the Board on the
    community efforts to consider the CentOS brand, logo, and overall
    branding in light of the addition of CentOS Stream.
     1. https://git.centos.org/centos/Artwork/issue/1
     2. https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2019-November/018098.html
     3. *AGREED*: Board more actively drive approving/rejecting design
     4. *AGREED*: There will be a reasonable time for discussion around
        the potential brand changes, and the Board will ensure the
        discussion concludes in a timely manner.

Karsten Wade [he/him/his]| Senior Community Architect | @quaid
Red Hat Open Source Program Office (OSPO) : @redhatopen
https://community.redhat.com | https://next.redhat.com | https://theopensourceway.org
gpg: AD0E0C41 | https://red.ht/sig