[CentOS-devel] CBS and SIGs consuming CentOS 8 / Stream

Brian Stinson

brian at bstinson.com
Thu Oct 17 16:52:01 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, at 11:24, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 02/10/2019 17:07, Thomas Oulevey wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >

> > 2/ CentOS 8 buildroot
> >
> > When 1/ is done we can create an C8 buildroot without enabling the
> > Appstream repo.
> >
> > Due to the nature of Appstream, and how koji uses mergerepo
> > (--koji)/updaterepo/mock, more work is needed to get a working buildroot.
> >
> > I don't fully understand the underlying issue so comments are very
> > welcome to enlighten us !
> >
> > One of the solution found by Fedora team is to split Appstream per
> > repository and enable only the one needed in a specific buildroot [3].
> >
> > We are evaluating the tools. And see if we can use koji external-repo or
> > tag inheritance to achieve it (which is mbox solution [4])
> >
> > However for a community build service, we don't know exactly what people
> > will build and what Appstream packages will be needed in each buildroot
> > (we have 290 targets at this time for C7). So we still need time and new
> > ideas :-)

> Hi,
>
> since I keep hearing interest of building SIG packages for CentOS 8, is
> there an update on this topic?
>
> Matthias

There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes that needed to be resolved before we open up the gates and do builds against CentOS 8 or CentOS Stream buildroots. Here are the 2 major items:

- Upgrading koji inCBS: (Fabian and Thomas can correct me if I'm wrong) This should be ready enough to set a date for the upgrade

- Dealing with modular content in the buildroot: We're closer than I expected us to be and I'd like to finish this discussion with a proposal

Over the past few weeks, we haven't been holding the regular CBS meeting since most of us were busy wrangling these items and others. I'd like for us to start the meetings back again on Monday 22-October 14:00 UTC in #centos-meeting on Freenode

At the 22-October meeting, we'll outline the solutions and proposals we came up with and decide on a schedule (if the necessary folks are present). Come join us for that discussion.

--
Brian Stinson