[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 - Full SCL availability?

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Sat Sep 28 00:49:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 9:53 AM Thomas Oulevey <thomas.oulevey at cern.ch> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> > GCC 8 is the system compiler in EL8, so there's no devtoolset-8 for CentOS 8 (or RHEL 8, for that matter). There should be a devtoolset-9 soon for EL8.
>
> My understanding is that Application Streams [1] is replacing Software
> collections for RHEL8 and therefore in C8. But it would be great if
> someone from Red Hat could clarify this point.
>
> One main difference is that SCLs can be installed in parallel while
> Application streams cannot.
>
> [1]:
> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/11/15/rhel8-introducing-appstreams/

Red Hatter here and you've hit the nail on the head: For use cases
where you generally only want one version installed at a time, or it
fits nicely in a container, AppStreams are the way to go.  We're still
issuing SCLs where there is a known need to have multiple versions of
immediately available at the same time.  The devtoolset falls into
this latter category.  Thus we ship it as an SCL to allow for parallel
installability and usability.

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.