[CentOS-devel] CBS and SIGs consuming CentOS 8 / Stream

Wed Sep 25 08:16:24 UTC 2019
Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com>

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 09:04:53AM +0200, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 25/09/2019 08:47, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> > Hi,
> > how can SIGs start building their packages for the newly released CentOS
> > 8 and CentOS Stream?
> > CBS seems missing CentOS 8.
>
> Hi Sandro,
>
> That's a good discussion/thread to start with SIGs members : I guess
> that we'd need to import both 8 and 8-stream and SIGs can ask to build
> against the two, and so different tags/repositories (but opt-in choice
> for SIGs)
>
> At the infra side, the current CBS setup would need to have a refresh at
> least, as, while all builders/kojid were migrated to CentOS 7, kojihub
> is still on 6.
> So, but worth investigating also with Thomas, we'd need to schedule a
> maintenance window to
> - install kojihub/web on a CentOS 7 node
> - upgrade kojihub/web/kojid everywhere
> - install required pkgs on all builders to be able to understand c8
> (newer pkgs are required, as that's what we had also to build first to
> bootstrap c8 on c7 builders outside of CBS) :
> https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packages?tagID=1720
>
> So all that should be discussed, eventually here and/or cbs meeting, and
> the come back with a plan.
> Initially, I thought that maybe going with mbox (the all-in-one
> deployment method that we used to have the c8 build farm setup, and
> visible on https://koji.mbox.centos.org) was the way to go for next CBS,
> as setting MBS (needed if some SIGs want to have a possibility to also
> build modules) isn't trivial to add to cbs ...
>
> Maybe that can come in two steps :
> - upgrade to koji (as it is right now) and no modules builds
> - migrate later to something that can permit modules builds (through mbs)

At least for the Storage SIG, I do not think we care about modules much.
We offer different centos-release-<storage-project> packages with
multiple versions. This is a sortof alternative solution that modules
offer. This works for CentOS 6 and 7 already, and doing the same for
CentOS 8 will not be difficult (no need to learn about modules just yet).

Niels