[CentOS-devel] Missing -devel packages

Troy Dawson

tdawson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 14:57:23 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 7:39 AM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 8/10/20 3:41 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 1:29 PM Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there anything I can do to help out with missing -devel packages in CentOS
> >> 8?  I'm waiting for a number of them, e.g.:
> >>
> >> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17401
> >>
> > Hi Orion,
> > It helps if it is linked to this ticket.
> > https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16492
> > Although nothing has happened there for 5 months.
> >
> > To be clear, there is two definitions of "missing -devel packages"
> >
> > There are the ones that have never shown up anywhere  (I'm still
> > waiting on 4 I believe)
> >
> > And then there are the ones that originally showed up, and we were
> > able to build from them in EPEL8, but then when RHEL 8.2 came along,
> > the EPEL8 packages are still the old ones from RHEL 8.1.
> > https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9580
>
> And while we would love to just publish these .. we can not.
>
> There are competing goals here.  Bit for bit like RHEL .. RHEL does not
> have the SRPMS, we should not.
>
> Someone wants the SRPMS .. so they want us to like RHEL .. except when
> they don't.  All our build system and where we pull info assumes we need
> to be the same.  Introducing things were we are not is HARD ..
> especially in el8 as we HAVE to use koji and mbox and pungi to build.
> Introducing differences into compose configurations for pungi for
> releases is HARD .. it has follow on impacts .. and we need a system in
> place to make it continue to work when we get updated compose files in
> the future.
>
> We have people working on this, but it is just not a priority compared
> to getting things released on time and builds working properly.  It is
> not just a simple .. push a couple packages somewhere.

You already have them published, that work is done.
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8.2.2004/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/

It doesn't say it in the ticket, but from conversations the rsync area
that was setup for EPEL8 to sync that over, something happened and
they can't sync anymore.
I don't know the details.  It's possible that the syncing is already
fixed, and they just need to restart and/or update their script.

Troy