[CentOS-devel] Missing -devel packages

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Aug 11 14:38:33 UTC 2020

On 8/10/20 3:41 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 1:29 PM Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to help out with missing -devel packages in CentOS
>> 8?  I'm waiting for a number of them, e.g.:
>>
>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17401
>>
> Hi Orion,
> It helps if it is linked to this ticket.
> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16492
> Although nothing has happened there for 5 months.
>
> To be clear, there is two definitions of "missing -devel packages"
>
> There are the ones that have never shown up anywhere  (I'm still
> waiting on 4 I believe)
>
> And then there are the ones that originally showed up, and we were
> able to build from them in EPEL8, but then when RHEL 8.2 came along,
> the EPEL8 packages are still the old ones from RHEL 8.1.
> https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9580

And while we would love to just publish these .. we can not.

There are competing goals here.  Bit for bit like RHEL .. RHEL does not
have the SRPMS, we should not.

Someone wants the SRPMS .. so they want us to like RHEL .. except when
they don't.  All our build system and where we pull info assumes we need
to be the same.  Introducing things were we are not is HARD ..
especially in el8 as we HAVE to use koji and mbox and pungi to build.
Introducing differences into compose configurations for pungi for
releases is HARD .. it has follow on impacts .. and we need a system in
place to make it continue to work when we get updated compose files in
the future.

We have people working on this, but it is just not a priority compared
to getting things released on time and builds working properly.  It is
not just a simple .. push a couple packages somewhere.