[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Dec 8 23:15:28 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 01:54:30PM -0800, Lance Albertson wrote:
> Ubuntu LTS releases where you have a release you know will be the same for
> an extended period of time. This change seems as though the "LTS" model of
> CentOS is going away and following a model more closer to Fedora and Ubuntu
> non-LTS releases. As a sysadmin that concerns me quite a bit since I have a
> moving target which may have unintended consequences. I realize the
> comparison to Ubuntu's release model is not 1:1 to RHEL/CentOS, so please
> forgive me on that.

I would say that it's quite a long way away, actually. RHEL's model isn't
changing, so you can expect the amount of change in minor releases to stay
the same. And CentOS Stream won't have anything that's not planned to go
into one of those releases, so the overall change should be the same.

If, instead, you want more change, come join us over in Fedora Server. :)

> Matt described this a little better via his comment on LWN [1]:
[...]
> > also made by Red Hat, but inside without any transparency. And if you're
> > unsure about community engineering decisions and Fedora's independence …
> > buy me a beverage sometime and ask me about Btrfs!

That offer of buying me beverages is valid as soon as the pandemic is over,
by the way. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>