[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

centos at plnet.rs
Wed Dec 9 14:58:56 UTC 2020

On 12/9/20 12:15 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 01:54:30PM -0800, Lance Albertson wrote:
>> Ubuntu LTS releases where you have a release you know will be the same for
>> an extended period of time. This change seems as though the "LTS" model of
>> CentOS is going away and following a model more closer to Fedora and Ubuntu
>> non-LTS releases. As a sysadmin that concerns me quite a bit since I have a
>> moving target which may have unintended consequences. I realize the
>> comparison to Ubuntu's release model is not 1:1 to RHEL/CentOS, so please
>> forgive me on that.
>

> I would say that it's quite a long way away, actually. RHEL's model isn't
> changing, so you can expect the amount of change in minor releases to stay
> the same. And CentOS Stream won't have anything that's not planned to go
> into one of those releases, so the overall change should be the same.

Majority of users do NOT WANT Stream, do NOT CARE about Stream, they
care about RHEL CLONE, 99% binary compatibility.

CentOS does not have proprietary and non-free packages including drivers
and multimedia codecs, you have to add 3rd party support which are not
as reliable as full distro, kernel is not vanila and RHEL one has a lot
of things disabled, many developers, especially of apps for Desktop use
do not want to even support rpm packages...

So when you remove binary compatibility, why would anyone bother with
CentOS/RHEL unless they want a job in a company that pays for RHEL support?

Stream (we should start calling it RHEL Stream) will never be binary
compatible clone of RHEL, so it looses it's appeal, so we have to look
elswhere. I never considered Fedora more then a plaything, and I neve
even though about even installing Stream for testing, I just do not need it.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)