[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Konstantin Boyandin

lists at boyandin.info
Wed Dec 9 11:29:39 UTC 2020

On 09.12.2020 17:42, Julien Pivotto wrote:
> On 09 Dec 05:38, Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS-devel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>   > The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next
>>   > year we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red
 Hat
>>   > Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of
>>   > current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will
 end
>>   > at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving
 as
>>   > the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
>>   >
>>   > Meanwhile, we understand many of you are deeply invested in CentOS
 Linux
 https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/#Life_Cycle_Dates

>> [...]
>>
>> I am currently in process of upgrading multiple CentOS-driven systems,
>> so this piece of news has become a nasty surprise. Looks like a major
>> decision should be taken right now.
>>
>> Apart from migrating to Oracle Linux (which I wouldn't like at all), and
>> buying RHEL itself, what are other possible alternatives (just curious)?
>
>  From what I see and hear from the community it seems that by the end of
> 2021 there might be another RHEL rebuild, under another name.

I would be eager to see one raising, and support, as I did support
CentOS in whatever amounts I could, all these years.

I will also look into Springdale Linux, mentioned by Sandro Bonazzola.

Sincerely,

Konstantin
system administrator, ProWide Labs Ltd. / IPHost Network Monitor