[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Jeffrey Layton

laytonjb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:38:12 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:38 AM Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS-devel <
centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  > The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next
>  > year we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat
>  > Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of a
>  > current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end
>  > at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as
>  > the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
>  >
>  > Meanwhile, we understand many of you are deeply invested in CentOS Linux
>  > 7, and we’ll continue to produce that version through the remainder of
>  > the RHEL 7 life cycle.
>  >
> https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/#Life_Cycle_Dates

This is the part that worries me. This is not a guarantee. This is not a
contract. We have to _trust_ the CentOS team (board) to do this. We trusted
them to continue CentOS 8 and to continue to follow RHEL and they
changed direction. Therefore, until proven otherwise, I can no longer trust
anything coming from CentOS. They have proven that they will change
the direction of CentOS at any time.

Jeff