[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Laurențiu Păncescu

lpancescu at centosproject.org
Wed Dec 9 18:44:46 UTC 2020

On 12/9/20 1:01 PM, Strahil Nikolov via CentOS-devel wrote:

>> Apart from migrating to Oracle Linux (which I wouldn't like at all),
>> and
>> buying RHEL itself, what are other possible alternatives (just
>> curious)?
>
> OpenSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu LTS, BSD

FreeBSD has a 5 year support window, but that only applies for the base
system (kernel and core utilities), not to any additional software you
need from FreeBSD ports. They don't have the resources to maintain
stable versions, so you have to compile everything yourself (binary
packages are late to deliver security updates, again due to resources).
Fine for a firewall or load balancer, but if you run a bigger Web
application, Debian or another LTS distribution are much better, IMHO.