[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

John Crisp

jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 15:18:15 UTC 2020

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 20:57:18 -0500
"Phelps, Matthew" <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 8:47 PM Rob Thomas <xrobau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure it was just phrasing.  Perhaps if you asked 'Was this
> > decision forced on the CentOS board?' you'd get a different answer.
> >
> Johnny mentioned in another thread that the CentOS Board made their
> choice because of the option of a RedHat Liaison overrule hanging
> over them.
>
> In other words, yes; they were forced by RedHat.

Probably under pressure from IBM 'we need more profit - we don't care
how you get it'. Plausible deniability. "It wasn't us that forced them
to do it"

Maybe the RHEL CTO got his metaphors muddled here too. Or was feeling
unwell. Or was being just 'economical with the truth':

"So, if you need a stable RHEL-like operating system, CentOS will still
be there for you. But, if you need to keep up with your competitors who
are building new cloud and container-based applications, CentOS Stream
will work better for you."

'To be exact, CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform for
ecosystem developers. It will be updated several times a day. This is
not a production operating system. It's purely a developer's distro.'

"Old school CentOS isn't going anywhere. Stream is available in
parallel with the existing CentOS builds. In other words, "nothing
changes for current users of CentOS." "

Chris Wright, Red Hat's CTO

September 24, 2019

https://www.zdnet.com/article/red-hat-introduces-rolling-release-centos-stream/