[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Louis Lagendijk

louis at fazant.net
Wed Dec 9 15:39:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-12-08 at 20:57 -0500, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 8:47 PM Rob Thomas <xrobau at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sure it was just phrasing.  Perhaps if you asked 'Was this
> > decision forced on the CentOS board?' you'd get a different answer.
> >

> Johnny mentioned in another thread that the CentOS Board made their
> choice because of the option of a RedHat Liaison overrule hanging
> over them.
>
> In other words, yes; they were forced by RedHat.

I am a bit surprised that nobody talks about the bigger picture here.
Could this just be a consequence of RedHat de-prioritizing the OS? Are
they focusing on their other more cloud based products (openshift etc)
as that offers more value to IBM?
If so, reducing costs for RHEL Linux by reducing Centos funding makes a
lot of sense. I would expect even RHEL to loose steam.

For my home application of Centos I am not too worried: I still have a
year to decide what to do. Stream is not an option for me probably, as
I need ZFS support, which will become a lot more complicated with
Stream as a moving target.
Interesting times...