[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Konstantin Boyandin

lists at boyandin.info
Wed Dec 9 23:40:10 UTC 2020

On 10.12.2020 00:40, Stef Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:33 PM David Hrbáč <david-lists at hrbac.cz
> <mailto:david-lists at hrbac.cz>> wrote:
>
>         I don't use CentOS Stream, I use RHEL. I use RHEL to develop
>         software
> [...]
>
> Indeed. If any such broken change (eg: that breaks kernel ABI) is pushed
> to Stream, that is treated as a serious problem by the RHEL engineering
> teams. We have the necessary process in place to QE test changes before
> they arrive in CentOS Stream.
>
> I understand this fact alone is not a panacea for all the problems
> people are highlighting. But it does seem to cover your use case. From a
> regression, stability, ABI, and kernel ABI perspective, it is the goal
> and focus of many of us in RHEL Engineering for CentOS Stream to be
 stable.

"The goal" is something referred to indefinitely far future.

The problem for the majority of CentOS users, as I see it, is that
stability is required here and now. I was always reluctant to change the
major CentOS version, because the current one just worked on our zoo of
hardware.

"The development and testing" nature of CentOS Stream means that the
quest named "make that damned thing work again" would become my everyday
adventure.

Sincerely,

Konstantin
system administrator, ProWide Labs Ltd. / IPHost Network Monitor