[CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Josh Boyer

jwboyer at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 12:13:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 12:33 PM David Hrbáč <david-lists at hrbac.cz> wrote:

>> I don't use CentOS Stream, I use RHEL. I use RHEL to develop software
>> for RHEL and compatible OS clones, including CentOS. If Stream retains
>> binary compatibility, and specifically kernel ABI compatibility, then
>> the users of the software packages we develop can continue to use them.
>> If not, they can't. Simple as that. So please don't push rolling kernel
>> updates to Stream that break the kernel ABI.
>>

> Rolling kernel updates are going to kill all the traditional HPC clusters. Almost 25% of the TOP 500 HPC clusters run CentOS. See https://www.top500.org/statistics/list/

Can you elaborate on what you mean by rolling kernel updates?  If you
mean wholesale kernel rebases (e.g. kernel-5.8 -> kernel-5.9), that's
not what Stream will be doing.

Stream will include more frequent updates of the *RHEL* kernel, where
we take the RHEL kABI whitelist very seriously.  It is literally the
RHEL kernel.  In the context of HPC deployments, they could use Stream
and choose when to update and reboot those machines based on the
kernel updates that come out, just as the would with CentOS Linux.

josh