[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Mark Mielke

mark.mielke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 06:06:17 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:48 AM Gordon Messmer
<gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure where to find the Firefox enterprise list archives from
> March 2017, but I don't see anything that supports the idea that Mozilla
> has ever described the initial ESR releases as betas, and I don't see
> anything to support the idea that Red Hat keeps the same release
> schedule as Mozilla.  I think you're cherry picking data to build your
> argument and attributing *your* motivations to other people without cause.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-esr-release-cycle

"The ESR version will also have a three cycle (at least 12 weeks)
overlap between the time of a new release and the end-of-life of the
previous release to permit testing and certification before you deploy
the new version to your organization."

I can't argue with you any more, Gordon. It's really draining, and I
don't think we are ever going to agree. I'm sharing information, and
you can choose what you want to do with it.

All I can say is that I've been on the Firefox ESR mailing lists from
the start, and been part of the planning for distribution, and when
I've noticed Red Hat doing smart things - I've nodded in my head and
said "good job, you did the right thing."

So, if you are trying to convince me that sometimes Red Hat and CentOS
didn't do the right thing ... fine, I'm sure that happens. But,
comparing my experiences to yours with Firefox ESR, I have known about
the three cycle overlap for a long time now, and this is not new
information to me. Is it new information to you?

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>