[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 06:18:57 UTC 2020

On 12/20/20 10:06 PM, Mark Mielke wrote:
> So, if you are trying to convince me that sometimes Red Hat and CentOS
> didn't do the right thing ... fine, I'm sure that happens.

I'm not saying that, at all.  I just don't think that using the current
ESR before the last one is EOL is the wrong thing to do. To the best of
my knowledge, Mozilla supports users making that switch whenever they
have completed testing.  The automatic upgrade doesn't happen when the
last release is EOL because that's the "right thing", it's just because
that's the deadline.  That's when users no longer have a choice (other
than to continue running unsupported software).

> But,
> comparing my experiences to yours with Firefox ESR, I have known about
> the three cycle overlap for a long time now, and this is not new
> information to me. Is it new information to you?

No.