[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 21:17:49 UTC 2020

On 12/21/20 5:43 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> distribution testing of packages as they're updated has been almost
> entirely automated. Rather than spending ridiculous amounts of time
> having*people*  test it

Thank you, Neal.

Most of the technical conferences that I attend, year after year,
include groups that stress the difficulty of improving anything due to
the "That's the way we've always done it" barrier.

I think that behind a lot of the fear of using CentOS Stream there's an
implicit belief that the more time passes between a piece of software
being built and an end-user deploying that software, the more reliable
or trustworthy that software will be. I can't think of a mechanism by
which that could possibly be true for pre-release packages.  Letting
packages sit, idle, until the next point release doesn't make them more
reliable.  (And Red Hatters have told us that there are virtually no
beta testers doing any testing).

On the other hand, it is theoretically possible that bugs will be found
through real-world testing after release.  At this point, I think it's
all but explicit that some of the most vocal objectors view all software
as a "beta" until someone else has used it for some period of time.  For
those people, the value of the point releases is that they believe they
can reasonably expect to wait for an arbitrary period after a point
release to let other users work out the bugs.  Rather than testing
software themselves, they're relying on the broader community to deploy
software and report bugs.  To be clear, though, there's no evidence that
doing so is necessary or effective.  If it were, we'd expect to see a
flurry of fixes for bugs that were introduced BY the point release after
each point release.

There's a non-trivial amount of "that's the way we've always done it" in
many of the arguments against moving to CentOS Stream.  In my opinion,
the more we do to push back against the idea that humans should be
involved in the QA process itself, and the more we do to expand our
trust in automated tests (which we also continue to expand and improve),
the better we become as a community and an industry.