[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 22:08:19 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 16:18, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 12/21/20 5:43 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > distribution testing of packages as they're updated has been almost
> > entirely automated. Rather than spending ridiculous amounts of time
> > having*people*  test it

> There's a non-trivial amount of "that's the way we've always done it" in
> many of the arguments against moving to CentOS Stream.  In my opinion,
> the more we do to push back against the idea that humans should be
> involved in the QA process itself, and the more we do to expand our
> trust in automated tests (which we also continue to expand and improve),
> the better we become as a community and an industry.

A good reason it is the way we've always done it is because it worked and
very few of us have the time to reinvent the wheel in our infrastructure.
Most of our time is being spent keeping aging infrastructure that you have
said needed to be replaced for years... but well it still works and
replacing costs more money this year than last year. Another part of our
time is spent dealing with a lot meetings, trouble tickets from users to
bosses, the latest fire of the week (OMG the billing system died again),
etc etc. Having a set of tools which work reliably like they have for years
and for the budget that you have been given ($0) is about all you can ask
for. Many of us are not trained as system administrators and there is
always the knowledge that we will become obsolete at the drop of a release.

All of that is going to make a lot of people really afraid. They are afraid
that they won't have enough time as they know it took them 4 years to get
approval to get off of EL6 and their management isn't going to spend any
more money than they have in the past. They are afraid that they are going
to have to babysit servers when they didn't have to before. They are afraid
that they are going to have to work even more overtime to keep up with
weekly with whatever 'upgrade' got put into CentOS Stream. And there is the
fear that the tool they have been using is going ot become even more of a
knock-off than it was before. Yes it was the Craftsman of handtools but now
its going to be used by the manufacturer for prerelease work versus post.

Stephen J Smoogen.