[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 00:12:17 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 6:57 PM Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> This argument, which I've seen restated and restated, continues to ignore all the other downstream rebuilds *including* one of Red Hat's competitors in Oracle.  As soon as you add that to the mix, this argument completely falls apart.  It's not free "open-builds".  It's open-source.  All of our source is available because we already pushed it upstream before we released it and then again in our downstream build.  Just like Red Hat, you are welcome to embrace and extend it. And, just like Red Hat you can't extinguish it.

Oracle and Amazon both edit it extensively, and are not so gracious
about sharing their modifications. Whitbox used to do a decent job,
and Scientific Linux. But CERN bowed out of doing Scientific Linux
releases as CentOS grew and Red Hat supported it directly. It's
difficult to do.

I'll have to think about this. I may have to publish some reposync
based "snapshotting" backup tools to produce labeled, datestamped
"8-stream.2020-12-01" style repos. The contents except for repodata
can be hardlinked, so it's not *outrageously* inefficient.