[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Mike McGrath

mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 23:57:19 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 5:03 PM John Crisp <jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:31:13 -0600
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > That's the 'Extinguish' bit. Comes after 'Embrace' and 'Extend'.
> > >

> > Uhhh, there is no Extinguish in Open Source.  That's the entire
> > point.  We embraced, we extended.  If others want to carry on the
> > torch they are more than welcome to do so.
> >

> As I mentioned elsewhere, this is gaslighting. Again.

This is a pretty offensive thing to say as you've basically claimed that
I'm attempting to emotionally abuse you and others on the list and goes
well beyond professional candor.

You are closing/removing the RH owned and distributed downstream build
> RHEL known as CentOS (as you are entitled too). That is Extinguish.
>
> Ends.
>
> Whether there is something else, by someone else, no one can be sure.
> But that is a different story entirely.
>
> The curious bit will be what RH try to do to with any new version that
> appears eg Rocky, if they are in any way successful.

This argument, which I've seen restated and restated, continues to ignore
all the other downstream rebuilds *including* one of Red Hat's competitors
in Oracle.  As soon as you add that to the mix, this argument completely
falls apart.  It's not free "open-builds".  It's open-source.  All of our
source is available because we already pushed it upstream before we
released it and then again in our downstream build.  Just like Red Hat, you
are welcome to embrace and extend it. And, just like Red Hat you can't
extinguish it.

       -Mike