[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Mark Mielke

mark.mielke at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 08:26:37 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 2:14 AM Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> RHEL point releases are branches.  7.6 is a branch.  7.7 is a branch.
> You can continue running 7.6 and receive security updates after 7.7 is
> released.  Those updates may include packages built specifically for
> 7.6, and not just a selection of the packages for 7.7.  They're
> maintained in parallel, at the same time.  They're branches.

> CentOS point releases weren't individual branches.  There was only one
> CentOS 7 branch.  CentOS 7.6 was just a point in time along the lifetime
> of CentOS 7.  7.6 is not literally a tag, but it's the closest analogy.
> There was no continued support for CentOS 7.6 after CentOS 7.7 was
> released.  If there's no parallel maintenance, there is only one branch.

Honestly, I can't believe you are still on this page. This is some
serious kool-aid you are drinking. I'm a little jealous.

https://vault.centos.org/8.3.2011/BaseOS/Source/SPackages/kernel-4.18.0-240.1.1.el8_3.src.rpm

Do you know what the ".1.1" is? It's called a branch.

And here, is 8.2:

https://vault.centos.org/8.2.2004/BaseOS/Source/SPackages/kernel-4.18.0-193.28.1.el8_2.src.rpm

What? .28.1 wasn't in 8.3. Check the changelog for 4.18.0-240.1.1.
Where did it come from? Oh right. It's called a branch.

I know you are stuck on the "c7" being a branch, and using terms like
"VCS" to fill in some background. But, as already mentioned - "c7" is
a flattened set of imports and de-branding. It is representing a more
complex structure, that you are either unaware of - or you are
pretending doesn't exist. I can't tell which yet. But, this "flattened
set of imports and de-branding" is what disappears with CentOS 8
Stream. CentOS 8 Stream is the -240, -241, -242, ... with no backports
also known as no branches.

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>