[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 18:41:27 UTC 2020

On 12/23/20 12:26 AM, Mark Mielke wrote:
> hat? .28.1 wasn't in 8.3. Check the changelog for 4.18.0-240.1.1.
> Where did it come from? Oh right. It's called a branch.

That's right.  Because it comes from RHEL, where point releases are
branches.  That's what we keep saying: RHEL point releases are branches.

> I know you are stuck on the "c7" being a branch, and using terms like
> "VCS" to fill in some background. But, as already mentioned - "c7" is
> a flattened set of imports and de-branding.

That's right.  CentOS major releases are flattened.  That's what we keep
saying: There is only one supported branch in CentOS at any given point
in time.

That's all that Matthew was pointing out, really.  If you have an
application that needs an ultra-stable base OS, with security updates
but no new features for more than (roughly) 6-8 months, Red Hat can
provide you with such an OS.  CentOS doesn't.