[CentOS-devel] What should I do in my cluster? CentOS streams dilemma.

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 06:00:09 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 3:02 PM Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/25/20 5:24 AM, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
> > Con of using CentOS Stream is it .. packages will be released before getting the same level of QA of RHEL 8 or CentOS 8.
>

> Several Red Hat and CentOS engineers have said that each CentOS Stream
> package will have passed QA before they are published.

That's not necessarily a well-defined phrase. I've seen extensive
hardware compatibility tests fail with a "tested" kernel because the
particular hardware had unannounced hardware changes, and the leading
edge kernels were all compatible, but the kernel that passed QU didn't
run on any machines with the new hardware.  The kernel team had been
compiling kernels from their laptops with source code never checked
in, never merging their code with each other's changes, and each
handing them over directly to QA, a certain amount of screaming
occurred when I noticed this.

RHEL and CentOS have been much, much better than this. The visibility
of the codebase is one of the reasons I like it.