[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Konstantin Boyandin

lists at boyandin.info
Sun Dec 27 09:57:52 UTC 2020

On 26.12.2020 23:49, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 10:11 AM Jean-Marc Liger
> <jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr
> <mailto:jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr>> wrote:
>>     There would have been no downstream build sponsored by Red Hat,
>>     CentOS Linux would have kill other clones this way, as it already
>>     did for Scientific Linux 8, the CentOS Community would have been
>>     happy to help to get a better RHEL in the Stream process, and Red
>>     Hat folks could have put all the value of their brand and
>>     specificities in their final products, backed with a strong
>>     ecosystem they could have controlled.
>>
>>     I eared you no answer about this proposal, could you tell me why
>>     if it's not all about grabbing more money from the CentOS Community ?
>>
>>                -Jean-Marc
>>
>     I ask for a fourth time this proposal which still remains
>     unanswered, but as we say in French, "who doesn't say word
>     consents",therefore it is obviously a question of recovering money
>     from the CentOS community with the subscriptionsRed Hat coming soon.
>
>     Jean-Marc
>
> How many operating systems do you think we need to be building.  In your
> little text diagram above, its not clear to me what usefulness CentOS
> Linux is to RHEL.  I understand why you'd want it (free RHEL).  Why do
> you think we should produce it?  What usefulness is it to us?

That brings an obvious question: have RH obtained CentOS stuff with the
only actual purpose to shut down "free RHEL"?

> We don't want to "recover money" from the CentOS community just like our
> other communities.  But as a business, since you're not providing Red
> Hat with profit (none of our communities are), what are you providing
> that would result in continued sponsorship of a downstream rebuild?

How nice.

Does advertising RH paid  services and gaining you new customers count
for one? I suspect I am not the only one who did that for years.

(of course I won't do that any more and will personally apologize to
those unlucky who've subscribed to RH services)

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)