[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Alexander Bokovoy

abokovoy at redhat.com
Sun Dec 27 14:48:21 UTC 2020

On su, 27 joulu 2020, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>On 12/27/20 12:29 PM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

>>> As I understood it, Stream is not in full swing yet, there is no
>>> active/daily contribution from RHEL team?
>>
>> "Active/daily" contribution is pretty much a seasonal thing unrelated to
>> the actual processes. Right now majority of engineers contributing to
>> RHEL 8 sources are on their holidays and end of year vacation time. You
>> can notice these "activity dives" also in Fedora Project annual reports by
>> Matthew Miller, like
>> https://mattdm.org/fedora/2020nest/StateOfFedora2020.pdf.
>> This is a well-known phenomenon in Fedora community.
>
>Johnny Hughes wrote that Stream is not yet ready, that certain parts are
>not in place. I did not bother to retain specifics since I will not be
>using it at any time in the future, I only need to know enough to notify
>or answer on Facebook where I am admin.
>
><snip>
>

>>> What will happen to your system when/if there is new kernel change every
>>> few days? How much "punishment" can your system handle safely?
>>
>> You certainly control when you can and want upgrade your deployment
>> systems. It has nothing to do with the cadence of updates coming into a
>> distribution.
>>
>> I find this fixation on the kernel updates is skewing things a lot.
>> Kernel, certainly, is important, but it is not the thing that is RHEL or
>> CentOS distribution, alone.
>>
>It is crucial issue if you install any kernel module not provided by Red
>Hat (3rd party drivers). If some software that you might or might not
>use brakes, you can mess around your working system and fix it.
>But if after dnf update your system crashes or network is down, and it
>is bare metal system, they you are f**ked, you need to reach the system
>manually (I install on regular PC hardware without ILO) and reverse to
>prior kernel. Even if I am quick about it, it will be very embarrassing
>for me in front of my clients (small in number as they are) whose work
>will stop for that period, so I will not be caught dead using CentOS
>Stream, I do not need the potential headache, embarrassment.

That's pretty obvious with any system, really, no need to repeat that.
I think this topic was raised multiple times (by you and others already)
to realize that. In an ideal collaborative world, perhaps, those
3rd-party drivers could be build and tested automatically on top of the
CentOS Stream, though we are yet to reach that point of collaboration.

Following your approach to a detailed information about the Stream,
we've been told there are various RHEL subscription programs coming next
year that would address use of RHEL for many existing CentOS users.
Perhaps, those programs would address the needs of consumers of
3rd-party drivers too, before we'd reach the collaboration ideal I
outlined above. Let's see how that goes.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer