[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Alexander Bokovoy

abokovoy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 28 11:29:45 UTC 2020

On ma, 28 joulu 2020, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>On 12/28/20 8:35 AM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

>>> It was not me but Red Hat employee who started suggesting outlandish
>>> ideas like Red Hat giving away hundreds of thousands or millions of
>>> no-cost subscriptions for small businesses :-) I was just being
>>> sarcastic.
>>
>> You seem to have a very peculiar way of reading what was said. Please
>> re-read Chris Wright's blog post if you need more help with that.
>
>You have used phrases "we've been *told*"(buy people who reserve right
>to change their mind without notice), "for *many* existing" (many !=
>all), then wrote that just getting RHEL subscription "would address the
>needs of consumers of 3rd-party drivers too".
>One could suggest you have peculiar way of writing nonsense and use
>semantics to muddle the discussion.

Since those 3rd-party drivers were built against RHEL kernel, using RHEL
bits would address the need, by definition. Neither of us knows whether
there will be a specific answer in those new subscription programs but
the technical answer is there, definitely.

I hope a subscription solution would be there too. So far, we (and I'll
keep saying 'we' here) have the statements already made by the Red Hat
representatives who can talk about the programs being developed. I don't
myself have a reason to doubt those. Yes, I think a fair amount of trust
was lost in the way how things were handled by everyone. However, the
trust is something that goes in both directions. Putting others' words
in my mouth is not something I'd find engaging.

Whether that is confusing to you is up to you. I am trying to find a way
to address the technical problem within the CentOS Stream. After all,
this is development mailing list.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer