[CentOS-devel] What should I do in my cluster? CentOS streams dilemma.

Fri Dec 25 11:25:39 UTC 2020
Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>

On 12/25/20 12:54 PM, Pablo Sanz Mercado wrote:
> 	I have been reading a lot about the new CentOS stream
> "revolution", but now I am trying to understand the dilemma most of
> "regular" sysadmin have:
>
> What should I do?
>
> 	As you know there are a lot of computational centers working
> with CentOS. Sometimes because it is the best OS sysadmin knows,
> sometimes because of a low budget problem.
>
> 	Now we have this important change, so we have to decide. We
> have to choose the OS we are going to install in our servers, moreover
> we have to decide as quickly as we can, because as you know changes
> should be done as calm as posible.

If I were in your shoes ( actually I AM in the same situation except
that on a much lower scale ) I'd wait 4-6 months until we see the plans
for the new subscriptions that RH will announce in Q1 2021.

> 	Could we list pros/cons about using CentOS stream in a
> computational Center?

Pro: will always be ahead of RHEL, with all new bugs and features

Con:will always be ahead of RHEL, with all new bugs and features

> 	Are we going to see CentOS stream in the top500 list?

I am willing to bet a case of Estrella Damm on "Never". Those machines
usually require a more stable env. As I see it (I might of course be
wrong, it would not be the first time), Centos Stream seems to be more
intended to developers and people looking to be on the front end of
using new features and bugs.

wolfy