[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the CentOS platform

Mon Dec 21 04:40:43 UTC 2020
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 12/20/20 7:09 PM, Mark Mielke wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 6:59 PM Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why do you think Firefox 78.2 was a beta release?
> "This is the final scheduled release of the ESR 68.x branch. With the release
> of 78.3.0esr in September, we will begin offering automatic updates from
> earlier ESR versions to the 78.x branch. We recommend that organizations use
> this opportunity to test this new version in their environment ahead of the
> ESR68 End Of Life."

I don't think that Mozilla would agree with your characterization.  They
do not describe ESR releases as betas anywhere I've ever seen.  Having
two mature versions in production and in support does not make the
newest one a beta.  I mean... you don't think RHEL 8 is a beta because
RHEL 7 is still supported, right?

Is it the word "test" that you associate with beta?  Because *of course*
you should test a product before you deploy it.  You should also test
your software on RHEL before you deploy it.  That doesn't make RHEL a
beta, it's just a part of you doing due diligence with your own
configuration.

> I don't know if we are playing word games here - or if you truly
> believe it is a responsible choice to broadly deploy an early access
> version to a set of "Enterprise" customers. I'll use whatever word you
> want, as long as we agree that CentOS 8 Stream is for people who are
> *developing* CentOS. It is not for "Enterprise production
> deployments". I will comment further on another one of your posts.

Sure.  I'm not saying that people who want an enterprise production
environment should use CentOS Stream for that purpose. You should
probably look at RHEL for that.

I *would* say that I expect CentOS Stream to be better than CentOS is
today, for most purposes.