[CentOS-devel] Before You Get Mad About The CentOS Stream Change, Think About…

Sat Dec 26 19:09:15 UTC 2020
Jean-Marc Liger <jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr>

Le 26/12/2020 à 18:17, Mike McGrath a écrit :

> On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 11:10 AM Jean-Marc Liger
> <jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr
> <mailto:jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Le 26/12/2020 à 17:49, Mike McGrath a écrit :
>

>>     On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 10:11 AM Jean-Marc Liger
>>     <jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr
>>     <mailto:jean-marc.liger at parisdescartes.fr>> wrote:

>>>         Again, a fair way of doing things would have been, Hey guys
>>>         since we Red Hat have bought CentOS, making a downstream
>>>         release of RHEL is just a nonsense, It costs us time and
>>>         money we can save. So let's reverse the process and make
>>>         RHEL a downstream of CentOS, it will now be Fedora ELN - >
>>>         CentOS Stream - > CentOS Linux - > RHEL.
>>>
>>>         There would have been no downstream build sponsored by Red
>>>         Hat, CentOS Linux would have kill other clones this way, as
>>>         it already did for Scientific Linux 8, the CentOS Community
>>>         would have been happy to help to get a better RHEL in the
>>>         Stream process, and Red Hat folks could have put all the
>>>         value of their brand and specificities in their final
>>>         products, backed with a strong ecosystem they could have
>>>         controlled.
>>>
>>>         I eared you no answer about this proposal, could you tell me
>>>         why if it's not all about grabbing more money from the
>>>         CentOS Community ?
>>>
>>>                    -Jean-Marc
>>>
>>         I ask for a fourth time this proposal which still remains
>>         unanswered, but as we say in French, "who doesn't say word
>>         consents",therefore it is obviously a question of recovering
>>         money from the CentOS community with the subscriptionsRed Hat
>>         coming soon.
>>
>>         Jean-Marc
>>
>>     How many operating systems do you think we need to be building.
>>     In your little text diagram above, its not clear to me what
>>     usefulness CentOS Linux is to RHEL.  I understand why you'd want
>>     it (free RHEL).  Why do you think we should produce it?  What
>>     usefulness is it to us?
>

>     To fullfil the CentOS initial Goal thought to produce a RHEL clone.
>

> We've been evaluating that goas for years and I (and others) are
> unconvinced why we should be doing that.  None of our other products
> have a downstream build that we sponsor.  What benefit does doing
> something we've already done (RHEL), and doing it again (CentOS
> Rebuild), have for Red Hat?  Believe me, when I tell you we looked for
> years to find an answer to that, no one enjoyed this announcement. But
> when you look at it, CentOS Linux no longer makes any sense to sponsor.

As I said below, the idea is to produce a downtream RHEL clone, with
CentOS Stream as the continuous beta release for RHEL, and Centos Linux
the bitwise release candidate for RHEL you can last adjust with the
feedback of the CentOS community. It's a simple and valuable answer to
what you've been looking for years.

>>     We don't want to "recover money" from the CentOS community just
>>     like our other communities. But as a business, since you're not
>>     providing Red Hat with profit (none of our communities are), what
>>     are you providing that would result in continued sponsorship of a
>>     downstream rebuild?
>>
>>             -Mike
>>

>     My little text diagram is simple to understand. It is no an
>     downstream rebuild, but an upstream pre-build, with more stability
>     than Stream and actually the missing piece of motivation to help
>     Stream to become stronger.
>

> RHEL is a downstream rebuild of Stream.  Perhaps the missing piece you
> need to help isn't another rebuild, but free actual RHEL?

What I need is a free RHEL clone for educational purposes, with no
subscription and no restrictive contract terms to deal with.

Right now the winner of your fantastical move is Oracle Linux, that
fewbody knows before. Every day there is another IT website to explain
how easy it is to move from CentOS to Oracle Linux 8. And Project Lenix
and Rocky Linux will also succeded in this trifecta order. And in the
end you will loose both the value of the CentOS Brand and Community. Is
this the big deal Red Hat want to achieve?

Jean-Marc