[CentOS-devel] A Big Idea for a New Decade

Howard Johnson

merlin at mwob.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 15:02:54 UTC 2020

On 06/01/2020 21:12, Matthew Miller wrote:

> And finally, let's really take advantage of a merged dist-git repository,
> and the capabilities that Modularity gives us. SIGs building things for
> CentOS should be able to directly reference Fedora branches where
> faster-moving software is useful — and people building things in Fedora
> should be able to pull in branches from Stream where a slower-moving version
> would make sense. And we could even make additional shared branches where
> necessary, using modularity to make optional streams which could be used in
> CentOS SIGs, EPEL, or a Fedora OS.

If there's going to be more cross-pollination and shared usage of the
two dist-gits, can I ask for two things:

1) Standardise on one dist-git layout (I'd suggest eliminating CentOS',
as there's presumably a lot more of Fedora's git history and tooling
that would need to be rewritten, not to mention all of the Fedora Koji
task SCM URLs would be wrong; yes, CentOS' Koji would be wrong, but
again there's a lot less stuff in that that would need fixing up).

2) Separate the upstream RHEL git sources and CentOS' changes, such that
there are clean branches or repos containing only the RHEL source import
commits.  Third parties looking for the RHEL sources should not need to
filter out CentOS' debranding / local patches.

--

HJ