[CentOS-devel] CPE Weekly: 2020-07-25

Sun Jul 26 20:06:53 UTC 2020
Aoife Moloney <amoloney at redhat.com>

---
title: CPE Weekly status email
tags: CPE Weekly, email
---

# CPE Weekly: 2020-07-25
Background:
The Community Platform Engineering group is the Red Hat team combining
IT and release engineering from Fedora and CentOS. Our goal is to keep
core servers and services running and maintained, build releases, and
other strategic tasks that need more dedicated time than volunteers
can give.

See our wiki page here for more
information:https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/cpe/

## General Project Updates

The CPE team are working on the following projects for Quarter 3,
which is the months of July, August & September:
* Data Centre Move - Final Works
* CentOS Stream Phase 3
* Noggin Phase 3
* Packager Workflow Healthcare
* Fedora Messaging Schemas

Details of the above projects, and of projects currently in progress,
done and what projects are in our backlog, can be found on our taiga
board per project card:
https://tree.taiga.io/project/amoloney1-cpe-team-projects/kanban?epic=null

We also have an updated initiative timetable for briefing in new
projects to our team & key dates
here:https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/cpe/time_tables/
*Note: Initiatives are large pieces of work that require a team of
people and weeks/months to complete. Please continue to open tickets
in the normal way for bugs, issues, etc.

### CPE Product Owner Office Hours
#### #fedora-meeting-1
* Weekly on Thursdays @ 1300 UTC on #fedora-meeting-1
    * Next Meeting: 2020-07-30
#### #centos-meeting
* Every second Tuesday @ 1500 UTC on #centos-meeting
    * Next Meeting: 2020-08-04

### Misc
* CFP for Nest with Fedora submissions are closing on Monday 27th July
- dont forget to submit your ideas/talks here https://pagure.io/flock
* CPE Engagement email was sent a few weeks ago, please read if you
have not already and feel free to send me your feedback on or off list
before 31st July. A follow up email will be sent with feedback
received and actions taken where it makes sense then afterwards.
Thanks for your
engagement!https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/UNWTLOI2U4VKAU4IKJZGZLZ2DTMPEFBW/

## Fedora Updates

### Data Centre Move
* The team have been working incredibly hard over the last few weeks
and are now working on reinstalling the staging environment.
* We estimate this work to be completed by July 31st, however things
happen so we thank you in advance for your patience
* The project card on taiga for builder - staging - remaining app
bringup dates here
https://tree.taiga.io/project/amoloney1-cpe-team-projects/us/42?kanban-status=2139945
* A list of affected services is available here
https://hackmd.io/hpYYJQRjQy-oHxUS7IonIA?view
* Details on what this move may mean for you can be found here
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/27U6YT73556KYW2RIFJO6J2HYMYVP22U/
* If an application is not working correctly at all, please check this
list https://hackmd.io/hpYYJQRjQy-oHxUS7IonIA?view before opening a
ticket to make sure its not listed as being moved. If it is being
moved, please wait a day or two, then try again.
* And finally a reminder to please be patient when opening tickets for
service issues in general as we are in the critical point in this move
and all of our sys-admins and wider teams are assisting in the
successful bringup of the reduced Fedora service and facilitation of
the final hardware shipment and move.

### AAA Replacement
* The team are focusing work on this ticket and collaborating with the
Sustaining team for the next sprint, with the goal to have noggin
installed & deployed to staging
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/9152
* The have also been addressing how to curtail spam email and more
information on that effort can be found here
https://github.com/fedora-infra/noggin/issues/27
* And have added the feature to allow groups with a prefix for groups
to import to avoid overlaps between CentOS and Fedora
https://github.com/fedora-infra/fas2ipa/issues/5
* Please feel free to check out the team kanban board for more
information on the features the team are working on and have already
completed here https://github.com/orgs/fedora-infra/projects/6

### Fedora Messaging Schemas
* The team are using a kanban approach for this project as Noggin
takes priority until fully complete
* The team have already built a list of applications that require
messaging schemas, list can be found here
https://hackmd.io/@nilsph/H1i8CAbkP/edit
* They also have completed a readme which contains documentation on
messaging schemas, a cookie-cutter template to create the schema and a
definition of Done for writing a schemas
https://github.com/fedora-infra/fedora-messaging-schemas-issues
* The board they are working from can be viewed here
https://github.com/orgs/fedora-infra/projects/7

### Packager Workflow Healthcare
* Project information: This is an investigative project that aims to
look at the entire packager workflow as a single piece of tooling to
identify where failures happen, and try to identify when and why
packages fail at different points within the workflow. We hope to have
two possible outcomes from this project at the end of the quarter
(September):
    * The workflow breaks at X point and we will work on a solution to fix
    * OR
    * The workflow works fine, but we will need better monitoring on
the pipeline so we will work on a solution for this
* The team are using this Monitor-Script
https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/monitor-gating/
    * Current status: failing consistently because of CI test timeouts
    * The jenkins instance being used is under-resourced, jobs waiting
up to 40 minutes for a node
* They are using a workable dump of historical datanommer/datagrepper
data for queries to pull metrics on the historical/aggregate Packager
Workflow from as a baseline
* And are working on an outline of the workflow steps (from packager
PoV) and systems involved (CPE team PoV), identifying metrics to be
measured
* The teams work is being tracked here
https://teams.fedoraproject.org/project/cpe-cicd/kanban

## CentOS Updates

### CentOS
* CentOS-infra project created https://pagure.io/centos-infra/
* Day to Day working with CentOS-infra being documented at:
https://pagure.io/cpe/docs/pull-request/10
* New website is live https://www.centos.org

### CentOS Stream
* Business as usual, the team are churning through building packages in Stream
* They are also working on tooling to bring back some rpkg features

As always, feedback is welcome, and we will continue to look at ways
to improve the delivery and readability of this weekly report.

Have a great week!

Aoife

Source: https://hackmd.io/8iV7PilARSG68Tqv8CzKOQ?view

--