[CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 on AWS

Tue Jun 16 15:28:58 UTC 2020
Duncan, David <davdunc at amazon.com>

Hello everyone,
I apologize for the outlook formatting. It's what I have today.

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS-devel <centos-devel-bounces at centos.org> On Behalf Of Fabian Arrotin
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:08 AM
To: centos-devel at centos.org
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] [CentOS-devel] CentOS 8 on AWS

On 16/06/2020 08:49, Thomas Stephen Lee wrote:

>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 12:00 PM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
<snip>

>> The AMIs listed in
>>
>> https://wiki.centos.org/Cloud/AWS
>> are not the same as from Amazon search results.
>>
>> what could be the issue?
>> -

The query is for the marketplace AMIs and what Fabian and friends have posted are community AMIs. At Amazon there are two ways to publish, a self-publication is what we many of our OS Partners choose to use where they are not collecting additional fees and do not have a requirement to collect marketing feedback on the usage. Many choose to publish into the AWS Marketplace for discoverability and that's a great advantage, but it's not necessary when we have a strong security practice like the CentOS team has. In this case, the AMIs the CPE team published are published to a community account owned by the CPE team. The AWS Marketplace updates are pending for now, so if you need CentOS 8.2.2004, use the listed AMIs.

So the query refers to the details that are published to AWS Marketplace and the publication to the AWS Marketplace can take several days due to mandatory security audits, known audit exceptions, Marketplace TAM availability, etc. If you need a query for these images, use the following:

# aws ec2 describe-images --owners 125523088429 --query 'Images[?contains(Name, `CentOS`) == `true`]' --region us-east-1

Replace the region with the region where you would like to get the images output.

The 125523088429 is an infrastructure account owned and exclusively used by the CPE Infrastructure team for management, so this is an important constraint for your query to distinguish it from other community AMIs published with the name CentOS.  It also includes some official Fedora images and that is expected.

Fabian wrote:

> I hope you don't trust directly what's coming from that search box, where plenty of people have tagged something like a centos image > > > before we even had one there :)
>
> Just use the AMI ID for now

You can trust the query in the wiki where the marketplace code is identified. That is the official CentOS marketplace publication code. The AWS Marketplace agreement was signed by one person in the CentOS org before Red Hat took over management of the trademark. There is a long story here to tell around a fosdem campfire, but suffice it to say that the Marketplace publication is constrained by the one person who signed the AWS Marketplace agreement and their availability. Publishing community AMIs makes it a faster process to provide availability without making the publication dependent on a single resource.