[CentOS-devel] Handling packages retired in epel but not yet available in CentOS?

Antal Nemeš

Antal.Nemes at hycu.com
Thu May 14 19:59:00 UTC 2020

> Sent from Michel Alexandre Salim on Thursday, 14 May 2020 21:32
> To: centos-devel at centos.org; epel-devel at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Hi,
>
> We're working on validating CentOS 8 for some desktop use cases at work,
> and noticed that after working fine on a machine that's installed several
> months ago, it's now failing on a freshly-installed machine.
>
> Turns out that we need libzstd, which on the previous machine was sourced
> from the EPEL repo, but the epel8 package got retired 3 months ago because
> the package is now in RHEL's BaseOS:
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/zstd/history/dead.package?identifier=e
> pel8
>
> The package is only in BaseOS in 8.2 though, and CentOS 8.2 is not out
> -- the only repo that has it now is 8-stream:
>
> https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/8-
> stream/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/
>
> 8.1.1911 does not have the package:
> https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/8.1.1911/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packag
> es/
>
> Also, the version in BaseOS (if 8-stream is up to date) is 1.4.2, which is older
> than the last version in EPEL (1.4.4).
>
> Is anyone else in the same situation, and how do you work around it?
> Since EPEL is a sort of "rolling release" does it make sense to just track 8-
> stream if you're using it, or are people resorting to hosting these key
> packages in internal repos?

Same situation, needing package versions that are no longer in the official repos.

I resorted to internally running a limited archiving mirror for needed repos, including EPEL8.
This mirror does not delete any packages, to ensure reproducibility of processes that require specific package versions.
It is not public, but if you need x86_64 binary or Source packages for libzstd 1.4.4 from EPEL8, I can provide them.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Michel Alexandre Salim
> profile: https://keybase.io/michel_slm
> chat via email: https://delta.chat/
> GPG key: 96A7 A6ED FB4D 2113 4056 3257 CAF9 AD10 ACB1 BEF2

Regards,
Antal