[CentOS-devel] How CentOS 7 Vagrant images are built

Thu May 14 19:35:02 UTC 2020
Antal Nemeš <Antal.Nemes at hycu.com>

Wednesday, 13 May 2020 22:15, by Lauren?iu Pancescu
<snip>

> We don't use Packer, but Image Factory, which performs an installation on
> libvirt-kvm and then uses qemu-img to convert the libvirt disk image to
> different formats and pack it together with other necessary files for each
> hypervisor. Using Packer wouldn't allow us to build images for HyperV or
> VMware, which are proprietary software.

<snip>

FWIW I have used Packer's qemu builder to build Centos 7 and 8 images that I used in both KVM and VMware/vSphere.
I haven't used HyperV, but the difference is only in the drivers to include in the initramfs and potentially any guest tools to preinstall.
I use qemu-img to convert the formats and produce associated files (e.g. ovf) for the target hypervisor, all done from a wrapper script around the packer job.
I would gladly share the recipes.

Regards,
Antal