[CentOS-devel] How CentOS 7 Vagrant images are built

Fri May 15 13:22:07 UTC 2020
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

On 15/05/2020 15:12, Laurențiu Păncescu wrote:
> Hello Fabian,

<snip>

> Yes. I wrote Johnny again two days ago, still no answer.
>
>> Just dropping the .box files to make those appearing on cloud.centos.org
>> (at least for 6 and 7) is something I can help with .. but no idea about
>> how is the image-index file generated (and if that's even needed for
>> vagrant, but don't think so). Problem is more about if I add those and
>> then Johnny deletes those because he's pushing from another setup, that
>> wouldn't work
>
> This would be great, the files are in the CBS jobs 1276555 and 1276553.
> The signed SHA256SUMS file is not necessary for Vagrant, it's just nice
> for people who gpg-check the images to be sure they come from the CentOS
> Project.

So, I just pushed the centos 6 and 7 .box files and they are now on
https://cloud.centos.org/centos/6/vagrant/x86_64/images/ and
https://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/vagrant/x86_64/images/

only the c7 sha256sum.txt I was able to sign as I don't have access to
the gpg key for 6, so back to either Johnny or KB.

But if that's not needed for vagrant directly, you can proceed with next
step I guess :)

>> And also : nobody from the CPE team has access to upstream
>> atlas/hashicorp vagrant setup to update info when new box is released,
>> so that would also be a problem for people trying to consume those
>> updated images if not declared at https://app.vagrantup.com/centos
>
> Karanbir and I do have access, I have been publishing the images there
> since 2016. It doesn't have to be manually though, there's an API key
> and I already did some experiments to see if it's possible to create the
> links and a new version automatically - that works. So we could have a
> fully automated process for the Vagrant images: building, testing,
> copying to cloud.c.o., signing, creating a new version of the boxes on
> Vagrant Cloud (formerly Atlas) and publishing them for our users. This
> is what I spoke with Karanbir to do using Duffy nodes, it would make
> everything much more smooth by not having several people in the loop,
> but I understand you now have your own process for doing that?

It would be good to have Brian chiming in this thread as other vagrant
boxes were build through koji.mbox and so imagefactory too.
If we consider that having those built all on cbs.centos.org , we can
work on that if that's easier for you too :)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab